Little Things

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sceurity In Poatoes

There is security in potatoes…did you know that?  According to Makenna and me last night, there is.  Let me start from the beginning. 
Yesterday was Greg’s birthday.  Happy birthday to him!  Just so you know, he is now 22.  I am so blessed to have him in my life for 2 years now, one day shy.  I decided to cook something yummy from my wonderful Julia Child cookbook that he gave me for Christmas in honor of his birthday.  Something new I decided.  So here we are…PRAWNS.
Although I love to eat prawns, I have never cooked a prawn.  Neither might I had has Makenna.  Little did we know, this was going to be a large project of a dinner.  The process began at 6:45pm…
To begin the dinner process you cannot have only prawns you must have something delicious to go with them.  Also from Julia…OIGNONS FARCIS AU RIZ [Onions stuffed with Rice, Cheese, and Herbs].  This requires coring and blanching, which I found out means to cook the onion in a pot of boiling water until near tenderness.  The blanching part - easy.  Coring part - not so much.  Coring an onion requires cutting a triangle in the top as to not put a hole through the bottom and scraping the edges inside to hollow out the onion.  Lots of tears were involved in this process, let’s just say they were tears of joy for Greg’s birthday.  As to not give away the recipe, I will only tell you that the next 30 minutes consisted of cooking the remaining ingredients to stuff the onions and place them in the oven for 1 hour. 
Here lies a pause in the cooking process in order to deliver a batch of green cupcakes to Greg’s soccer team after they arrived home from their game.  Soccer and green just seem to go together, plus it is his favorite color.  Here is where I found the recipe for delicious frosting in case you would like to see.  I did however make a substitution of strawberry laffy taffy for watermelon air heads.  Success!
On returning home, the smell of onions was so thick in the air, I nearly started crying again as I walked through the door (upon entering our house, you basically arrive into the kitchen).  Back to cooking…next comes the PRAWNS and the their simmering stew.  I will not bore you with the details, but our kitchen was certainly an adventure last night.  Lots of snorts, laughs, questions to have the boys (Greg and Matt) look up on their phones to verify we were doing things correctly, doubt, and uncertainty.  Then the potatoes, and here is the security.  As we sit down to eat, totally uncertain if this is going to taste delicious or disgusting (we did verify that the boys would take us out to dinner if it was disgusting) and concluded that we would at least have potatoes to eat.  It is difficult to destroy a potato.
The only true flaw is the amount of prawns we have left to eat today.  Ok, don’t jump to any conclusions, we do not have leftovers because they were terrible, only because the young kid at the counter was completely wrong about the weight-per-person ratio.  They were delicious!!  As any cook would tell you, I will alter a few things differently next time, but it was delicious! 
If I remember the time correctly, we finished eating dinner and cleaning the kitchen around 11:20pm.  I told you it was a larger project then we were prepared for.  At 11:58 Greg blew out the candles on his cupcake and  we called it an evening, the day finished, his birthday over,  and dinner a success. 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GREG!!  Thank you for allowing me to cook for you and preparing to eat something that has potential to be awful, but hoping for the best. 

No comments: