Little Things

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Distract Makenna Day

Now I can speak of the unmentionable MCAT test, therefore I can tell you this story. 
Makenna, my dear roommate and very close friend, is taking the MCAT…as we speak.  This is the test needed to get into med-school.  She has been diligently studying for this test for months.  Especially within the last month, Makenna has been passing on all sorts of social activities in order to study or get good sleep.  She has been studying so hard, I feel like a diligent student through her, but don’t worry; I was doing my own homework.  The past 10 days (I think) she has been waking up at 6am to have a rhythm of awaking early.  I say I think for 10 days, because I have not been joining her in this endeavor…I was blissfully sleeping for at least another hour. 
Anyway, yesterday was DISTRACT MAKENNA DAY.  We have had this in our calendar for months.  This is the day before the exam, which everyone has said needs to be a day of relaxation, fun, and avoiding any thought of the test the following day.  We have been saving all of our social adventures for this day (plus any time after the test).  The day finally came and here is how it went.
·         The Gym:  This is a regular adventure for us that we didn’t feel necessary to pass on.  We do enjoy the good feeling of all muscles aching and the accomplished feeling that we begin our day on.  Needless to say, we ran 2 miles in 13:06…a new accomplished record, more sit-ups than I want to count and a few arm thingies.  We don’t have the correct terms for any of the exercises we do, but we know what we are talking about and we are at the gym.  That is all that counts.  The gym ended with doing the Twist and Shout, which for us means twisting some way to do a normal activity and shouting at the feeling in the muscle we used.
·         Casual Time: We spent a good deal of time relaxing and enjoying the morning while getting ready.  We usually rush through this process in order to get to class, work, or begin our studying. 
·         Antiquing:  Off we headed, with Makenna’s mom and sister Lexie, to Old Town Clovis to walk around the boutiques and antique shops.  This was great.  The sun was shining, not that it was warm, but it wasn’t raining and we were spending time outside.  Makenna bought a very cute heart hook to hang on her wall.
·         Movie:  Beastly.  Matt and Greg met us at the movie theater.  We were having a great trust that they would come, because we were dropped off at the movie theater by her mom without a car.  Thankfully, they fulfilled their boyfriend duty and took us to a chick-flick.  Super cute, by the way.  It was really a great chick-flick and well worth the long wait that Makenna and I have had before we could see it. 
·         Feathers:  So, while we were antiquing with Lexie, she told us about this new fad…feathers.  This is where feathers are attached to a tiny strand of hair by a bead.  They last for anywhere between 1-3 weeks.  She went to get some done while we were at the movie, and we decided that it sounded fun, so we went and got some too!  Good thing she is keeping us young.  Smile. 

*I have no idea...



·         Putt-Putt:  Here followed miniature golfing.  Oh what fun!  We nearly had the place to ourselves.  Who knew the best time to go putt-putting would be at 3:00 on a Friday afternoon?   I think there was more goofing around than actually playing of golf, but that was the point.  We started keeping track, but at some point we stopped.  Probably because I was winning…just kidding.  Hehe.
*Matt missed the tunnel the golf ball was supposed to go through, they made a new one through the fence...


·         Unfortunately, at this point I had to go to work.  They came home and played cards.
·         Dinner Time:  Greg picked me up from work and we met Matt, Makenna, and Lisa and Chevy’s for dinner (Mom-I thought of you while eating my nachos).  What a joyous dinner…without knives.  There was a party of 100 people in the back room and the restaurant ran out of knives.  Really?  How does a restaurant run out of knives?


Thank you Makenna for allowing me to spend a day with you doing absolutely nothing and everything at the same time.  I hope you are acing the test as we speak!!   

No comments: