Little Things

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

This, That, and All the Others...

This, That, and All the Other events that I should have told you about...so here you have it. 
Thursday nights Greg and I are taking a class with some friends.  One of these fellow classmates is a dear friend Amy Brooks.  I don’t know if I have introduced you to her before (you have however been introduced to her son Evan), but for 7 more Thursdays after this one, you will hear about our adventures.   Amy is fondly referred to as the Cupcake Queen.  She has made the most wonderful cupcakes ever and is always eagerly waiting for the next recipe to try.  Together we decided that we are going to make cupcakes for our class; obviously a different kind every week.  This past Thursday we made Rootbeer Float Cupcakes.  They turned out fairly well, I don’t know that I would necessarily make them again, and I think that was a mutual decision, but they were still pretty good.  A good surprise. 
Next came Friday…the 17th.  Mom’s Birthday!  So Mom, Happy Birthday to You!  Happy Birthday to You!  Happy Birthday dear Mom, Happy Birthday to You!  Good thing I actually sang it to her on Friday, if I had waited until I blogged it, I would have been in trouble.  I can’t wait to give you your birthday present.  Sorry you have to wait until I get home in 2 days; actually I’m not really sorry….patience is a virtue. 
I don’t have any roses, but I did take time to smell the flowers on Saturday.  I spent the morning in the little chunk of dirt I call the back yard, planting flowers.  The pinks, yellows, reds, and oranges are beautiful.  I am anxiously waiting for the evening when I sit outside admiring the work over a BBQ dinner.  Hopefully soon!!  In the early afternoon I played tennis with Brittany Salley (who played tennis for 4 years at Fresno Pacific) and Greg and Gerald.  Thankfully Brittany Salley was on my team.  It was a great time reminding me of all the summer days I used to spend playing tennis.  Plus I was reminded that it is about 10* hotter on a tennis court than it actually is.  This is much more of a problem in Fresno than it is in Lakewood. 
Sunday was Father’s day.  I am so blessed to have my father in my life and I can’t wait to see him in a few days!!  Thank you dad for all the ways that you have blessed my life and all the things you have taught me. 
Life Lessons
You may have thought I didn't see,
Or that I hadn't heard,
Life lessons that you taught to me,
But I got every word.
Perhaps you thought I missed it all,
And that we'd grow apart,
But Dad, I picked up everything,
It's written on my heart.
Without you, Dad, I wouldn't be
The woman I am today;
You built a strong foundation
No one can take away.
I've grown up with your values,
And I'm very glad I did;
So here's to you, dear father,
From your forever grateful kid.
By Joanna Fuchs

Yes, I know it may seem hard to believe, but I do remember some of those little life-lessons you taught me. 

After church Greg and I drove to Bakersfield to see his dad, Mike.  We made a 15 minute stop on the way at the Nike Outlet and I taught Greg the definition of “power shopping” as it was called in my house growing up.  I bought 2 pair of running shoes, 2 colorful laces for the shoes, and 3 pair of socks.   We were out of the store 14 minutes later.  I was quite proud of myself.  I got in the car and stated, “that was some serious power shopping” to which he replied, “I have heard of power steering, power windows, power throwing, and power lifting, but never power shopping.”  I think I taught him well. 
We had a wonderful dinner with Mike and his wife Shirley, Greg’s step-sister  and niece, Samara.  Lots of laughs were had, as well as a few good tickle fights with Samara.  Samara will be entering 1st grade in the fall and she is very big on staring contests at the moment.  I lost every time, but Greg made her work hard to win.  While she was counting for the game to begin she would squeeze her eyes shut as fast as possible to get all the blinks out before it was time to start…priceless.
*They also played with balloons...
Sunday is followed by Monday.  This consisted of work in the morning, then bowling in the evening.  If you know me at all, I am not a bowler.  I will go simply to go with friends to hang out; I would not actually choose bowling myself.  Greg however loves to bowl!    He is a phenomenal bowler.  We bowled with our friends Bulldog and Gerald.  Bulldog is a good bowler as well and he will generally keep up with Greg until the last few frames.  Gerald and I fight for last.  My first game I bowled a 73.  That defines how terrible I am.  The second game I bowled 178!!! I was shocked.  I should quite bowling now and forever.  Now, if you are like my dad you will say, “No Stinkin’ Way!”  Here is my picture to prove it.
Last but not least, Greg’s softball team played very well last night and won their game.  Congrats!
I am sorry that these events are all compacted into one blog.  I could have written each one separately.  I will write again soon…possibly from the Northwest…or maybe one before that…oh the possibilities….

No comments: