Little Things

Friday, September 9, 2011

To-Day

Many people that know me, tease me for my lack of patience. I am terribly impatient when I know something good is upcoming, like waiting for my mom to arrive in 6 days and to see her again with my dad in one month, when I know a smile will cross my face. I will also admit that I am not to patient when it comes to the person in line that's taking to long, waiting for the restroom, and waiting for an email, among I'm sure, many other things. My response lately has been, "I have no patience for the little things, so that I can save it for the big things." I know this is wishful thinking, because I am not patient with those either.

Today however, while I am waiting with my anxious attempt at patience I was reading a book called "Facing Forward: Poems of Courage". I am blessed to have received this book from my Aunt Nene and Grandma Carol. It was my Great Aunt Elsie's book (many people know her as the Swedish Pancake Queen; it is her recepie that I use when I make them). Anyway, this is her book and I love reading it, I love turning the delicate yellow pages; I hold my breath every time I turn it for fear of ripping another page; I love the way it smells, I love the feeling of the old leather binding (that I have re-glued more than once), I love the way it smells, and I love especially knowing that she was reading it and that the woman of my family have read it also.

I read one poem and here I post my decision for my impatience...at least today's.

To-Day
Why fear to-morrow, timid heart?
Why tread the future's way?
We only need to do our part,
To-Day, dear child, to-day.

The past is written! Close the book
On pages sad and gray;
Within the future do not look,
But live to-day - to-day.

'tis this one hour God has given;
His Now we must obey;
And it will make our earth his heaven
To live to-day - to-day.
Lydia Avery Coonley Ward

So Today, I spend my patience working in the garden and now off to be with friends. I choose to live to-day - to-day and wait to see what will happen tomorrow. Thanks Aunt Elsie for the words of encouragement.

No comments: