Little Things

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Daily Routine

How do you define a daily routine?  I am suddenly lost in this world of my daily activities.  Let me explain:
As I was preparing for this semester, I was thinking about all the spare time that I was going to have…EXCITING!!  I have never had a semester in school where I felt like I had a break, or time to breathe between school, work, church, and sleep.  This semester I am only on campus Tuesday and Thursday – no Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes!  All Christmas break was preparing myself for extra time to cook (thank you Julia Child and Greg), extra time to play my piano, enjoy the gym, love on kids at church, watch Greg coach his soccer team, read books because I want to, and so many other exciting things.  Little did I know that there is no such thing as “spare time”.  I am currently battling this issue. 
Although I have so-called ‘spare time’ this semester, I am finding that I had more homework than I ever expected with only two classes and I did not realize that I would take on other responsibilities in order to fill up my spare time.  Also, this whole gym at 7am thing and training for a half marathon, truly causes me to fall asleep on my INCREDIBLE couch for a nap as soon as I sit down to read my book.  Anyway, I am still busy within all my ‘spare time’.  Don’t take this the wrong way, I love being busy.  I hate to sit at home with nothing to do, but I was excited to take a few good breaths of fresh air this semester. 
So, for all of you also seemingly too busy people…any suggestions?  I know, I know, the easiest answer is to eliminate what is least important to me; manage my time better; set my priorities straight…yadda, yadda, yadda.  But, I am looking for other ideas; I am organizing my time, I feel that I have the correct priorities in order.  Am I missing something?  Maybe I am supposed to be this busy and filling my time? 
Ok, those are my thoughts. 

2 comments:

Don S said...

You have to budget "down time" as if it were an activity, just like you budget the activities. Not that I'm good at doing it but I think that's the only way to make the down time happen. Otherwise, everything gets filled up with other activities.

Katie said...

I agree with your dad. You have to make the quiet time. I am reading this great book "The Desert Mothers, Spiritual practices from the women of the wilderness" it is about women who lived in Jesus' time and the spiritual practices they employed. They suggest adding in quiet time each day. To sit, breath, pray, and try to quiet the mind from all the outside distractions. Now, I have only done this once since starting the book a month ago...but the idea is there and I need to plan it into my life as well. It is easy to just keep going at 100mph, but it is good to remember to slow down for 5 mins. Although I am not an expert on it, the few times I have done this is has been amazing. =) Or try yoga or something too, to cross train.. I know you'll figure it out! Glad you are enjoying yourself and the things you are doing. I miss you!!