Little Things

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Family Football and Woosah

I realize that I am a biased fan, as to it is my hometown, but I am delighted with my Seattle Seahawks today.  Not only was this a big win and a glimpse from the underdogs and what they are capable of, but for me, it was a trip down memory lane.  I remember the days of the past, with my winning Seahawks, sitting here in this living room with my parents, yelling at the television (although it is now a much larger television than it used to be) and cheering for my team. 
On nearly every defensive down mom and I yell, “GET HIM!  GET HIM!”  We simply want the other players to get tackled, the play to end, and us to get the ball back, but it makes my dad snicker.   Secretly, I think he laughs at us and doesn’t say it, but at least we all root for the same team.  Even when my dad is outside working on something, he always knows to run inside to catch the replay because something happened after of our shriek of anger or roar of delight. 
My dad on the other hand, speaks to the commentators.  He informs them the statistic they just stated is ridiculous or regularly asks the question, “Who keeps track of all this junk?”  He is also great at refuting whatever negative statement the commentator has made against our team.
“Woosah” is a regular phrase repeated after each important down in order to remind us all to take a breath.  According to Urban Dictionary, “Woosah” is a verb that means to take a breather, to re-center, and calm down. This may be done by repeating the word "woosah" over and over or merely “woosahing” by taking a step back and chilling out.  In our house, sometimes it involves rubbing your earlobes too in order to fully accept the fact that this is simply a game we are watching from our living room. 
If someone ever watched us as we were watching our Seahawks, they would most likely call us crazy.  We talk more to the T.V. than to each other, but somehow it is this great moment of time where the day just seems to pause and we spend it together as a family.  Today was that all over again.  Thank you Seahawks for the wins of the past, the win today, and the wins of the future, hopefully including more this season, that bring us all together.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Sounds like my family! Except we watch the San Jose Sharks when they're on TV. Going to games with my family is one of the best things in my life.