Little Things

Saturday, April 23, 2011

BreakAway

Ok, I believe I have now had enough sleep to write a few complete sentences about my Easter Break.  I was privileged to spend my break from school with about 250 Jr. High students sleeping in tents in the field of Peoples Church at BreakAway. 
BreakAway is our annual Spring Break event where our students join with other churches and do ministry projects throughout our community.  These students part from their normal routine and see the other side of Fresno and the surrounding area.  These students learn that although going to Mexico or Africa are wonderful mission projects, there are mission projects that our community needs as well.  These students divided into teams and spread out doing Vacation Bible Studies, construction projects, delivering lunches, a car wash, landscaping yards, and so many other activities. 
I am proud to have served alongside these students and the other leaders at the event.  Sleeping in tent, waking up early, working all day either building something or chasing kids, returning to camp to eat, worship, clean and do it all over again can be a difficult task; but the people I work with are incredible, as well are the students.  I have never seen 12-14 year-olds put so much heart into something as I see every year at BreakAway. 
*Gerald, Jarrod, and Greg playing Futsal
*Basketball and Fishies...
*Greg and Matt celebrating a goal
 *Which is better chalk or a sandwhich?
 *Easter egg hunt!
 *I'm sure the world record was set for how long a person can sit on a swing.
*Dog Pile!
 *Even the little-helpers were getting in on the action
This week consisted of very little sleep and relaxation as a “break” typically is, but it was much better.  Although, now I am ready for my spring break.  Smile.  Oh well, summer is just around the corner with only 13 more days of school before finals.  I think I can make it till then, but only time will tell. 
Thank you again to everyone that made BreakAway happen and to the students that blessed my life all week.  Thank you Lord for Your love that we were able to pass onto Fresno through activities, work, and sports without necessarily using Your Name.  As it was said, “we may not have said it, but we wrote it in the chalk.”  His love is abounding. 


No comments: