Little Things

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bulldog Blood

This weekend celebrates the 100th anniversary of Fresno State.  Yesterday the 100th class graduated from our school.  However, it was not always called California State University, Fresno.  It began in 1911 as Fresno Normal School.  This was a school for women to become teachers. 
You may have caught this little tid-bit from my last blog, but you may also have missed this detail: I have Bulldog blood.  I have always said that I have Bulldog blood, but until recently I did not know how true this was.  There has been all kinds of preparation for this special year in Bulldog history, part of which has been to research our past and discover our part in history.  I happened to stumble into a situation where I was interviewed because of my family connection to Fresno State.  Because of the interview, I called my Grandma to find more family details and we began a search of our family tree together.  I must say, she did most of the work…I just passed it onto the magazine.  Thanks Grandma!!  Our family is in the Special Edition article from Fresno Magazine.  As soon as I can figure out how, I will upload the article from the magazine.
In 1918 my Great-Great-Grandmother Louise Smith graduated from Fresno Normal School.  Here is a picture of their graduating class newspaper that my family has kept.  She is in the first row, third from the right. 
From then on, my family has been part of the Bulldog tradition.  This is including my grandparents Dick and Carol Wylie.  They graduated in the early 1953 and 1950.  Eventually, it comes to me, number 33!  I knew when I was deciding which school to attend, there was something special about Fresno State.  I REALLY wanted to be a Bulldog.  All to discover, it is because being a Fresno State Bulldog is in my blood.  Now, the tradition is all the way to my sister, as number 34.  What a wonderful tradition to be apart of and maybe someday, someone else will continue our family history with the Fresno State Bulldogs. 
So, Happy 100th Birthday Fresno State!
I will leave you with this quote, which alum often use when their children attend Fresno State, which rings truer to me than most. 
“Bulldog born, Bulldog bred; I’m going to be a Bulldog till the day I’m dead!”
The Alum at last year's 99th Graduation Ceremony...i.e. I Graduated!

No comments: